Friday, January 06, 2006

The Wizard Kings

<<previous next>>
No, I'm not talking about some role playing game, this is about something that's still celebrated in Uruguay, which is the Three kings festivity or The Wizard kings, or as we ordinary refer to it here, "Los Reyes Magos". Named after the visitation to the Jesus child by three wise men, or three wizard kings, mentioned in the bible. It's a holiday and it's a very special morning particularly for children.

Every January 6th children wake up early and run anxiously to the Christmas tree to find gifts placed by their shoes, does this sound weird? Tradition says that anyone who wants to be gifted by the three wizard kings must leave his or her shoes by the Christmas tree. Also a bucket with water and another one with grass must be left for the feeding of the camels, didn't i mention it?, they travel in camels. Letters are written to wizards with detailed specifications of the dreamed toys, and “unbiasedly” describing the year overall behavior.

It was funny to wake up and find the buckets moved, the grass gone, less water, irrefutable proof of the passing and existence of the three kings for every children in Uruguay. In some families with strong Spanish tradition like mine, gifts were more and better than those given at Christmas' eve, after all it had it's logic, Santa Claus is only one, these guys are three, they should try harder.
...

11 comments:

gabouy said...

This is an excelent article about the three kings traditions, explaining some of it's origins and flavors all around the world.

Anonymous said...

Che, muy bueno el blog, felicitaciones. ¿Cómo hiciste para poner los dibujos de Uruguay en el display?

gabouy said...

modificando el template html a huevo.com

Anonymous said...

excellent! I already bookmarked it. sometimes I've been in trouble to try to introduce my culture (si, soy uruguaya) to my fellows abroad.

gracias!

Anonymous said...

Hi. I have been reading your blog for a few months and I enjoy it very much. I wanted to ask you if you know the websites of any Uruguayan newspapers. I have searched on google but I can't find any. I'm learning Spanish and find reading the newspapers useful.Thanks.

gabouy said...

hi stephen, thanks. I usually read El Observador online, at www.observa.com.uy. There is also El Pais but I don't follow it. hope it helps,

gabo

Anonymous said...

Gracias, Gabo. I have bookmarked the sites.

Anonymous said...

There is also diariolarepublica.com
and for all sports from Uruguay: futbol.com.uy

Jackie Austin said...

I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

Instabio.cc
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

JeanAdams said...

Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

Diamondsquad.tv
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

Angel17 said...

This is a very nice blog, I always read this.
commercial dumpster monthly rental port charlotte fl